Robert has worked with government and private sector clients for more than 30 years with a principal focus on land development and planning and environmental law.
H advises on land and project development implementation and structuring, general planning and environmental law, development levies, pollution issues, contaminated land issues, biodiversity conservation, pollution, Indigenous and European heritage environmental protection licensing and land valuation and compulsory acquisition.
He has negotiated and drafted voluntary planning agreements for large residential and industrial subdivisions across NSW for private clients and the NSW Minister for Planning, and has managed the divestment of contaminated properties Australia-wide for international corporate groups.
Robert also regularly conducts litigation in the Land and Environment Court of NSW.
Robert enjoys longstanding client relationships and a reputation for his business acumen, solutions-based approach, strategic thinking, excellent judgement and attention to detail.
Robert’s areas of expertise include:
- project implementation and structuring;
- general planning law;
- contaminated land issues;
- development levies;
- land acquisition;
- compulsory acquisition and land valuation;
- biodiversity conservation;
- Indigenous and European heritage;
- environmental protection licensing;
- litigation in the Land and Environment Court of NSW.
Examples of Robert’s experience include:
- 1,900 residential subdivision north of Newcastle. The lead legal adviser across a vast array of complex planning and environmental issues for a 1,900 lot subdivision, including lead-in infrastructure, approval processes, jurisdictional issues, biodiversity conservation, developer contributions, lot density and yield, traffic management, land contamination.
- Biodiversity Resource Improvement Project, Eastern Creek, Sydney. An innovative use of planning agreements and planning approvals to increase the development yield of industrial parks at Eastern Creek while re-establishing 92 ha of Cumberland Plain Woodland for the NSW Minister for Planning.• Toronto Green Waste Recycling Facility, Sydney. Lead negotiator for the operator with the Council and the EPA, finding solutions that would satisfy government ambitions, followed by Land & environment Court litigation to achieve the most appropriate operating parameters for the client.• Seniors Living Colocation Trial Project for TAFE NSW. Conduct of EOI and RFP processes, data room management and probity issues for innovative government project to locate private seniors living developments on TAFE campuses around NSW and realise attendant educational and lifestyle opportunities.
Robert holds a Bachelor of Laws and a Master of Environmental Laws.
He is a member of Environmental Planning Law Association of NSW.
|2021 (July) – current||Keypoint Law | Consulting Principal|
|2015 – 2021||Hicksons | Partner|
|2013 – 2015||Hunt & Hunt | Partner|
|2006 – 2013||Herbert Geer | Partner|
|1993 – 2005||Baker McKenzie | Senior Associate then Partner|