Paul is a highly regarded intellectual property, technology and entertainment lawyer with over 20 years’ experience. He has been a partner at several law firms and has had significant in-house experience on secondments to client legal teams.
His expertise covers advice, contract drafting and negotiation and dispute resolution covering technology contracts (including outsourcing, website development, software development and implementation and systems integration projects), general procurement tendering and contracting, trade marks and branding advice and intellectual property. He also assists clients with privacy, data security, consumer law and other compliance issues.
Paul has been recognised by his peers in Best Lawyers in Australia in the areas of Entertainment Law, Information Technology Law, Intellectual Property Law, Privacy and Data Security Law and Education Law. He has also been recognised as a recommended Technology, Media & Telecommunications Lawyer (Victoria) in Doyle’s Guide 2018.
Paul presents regularly to continuing legal education programs and industry seminars on legal issues. In 2018 he presented a number of seminars on the topic of ethics and artificial intelligence and was a panellist at a presentation by Information Governance ANZ in May. He is a director of the music industry peak body Music Australia. Paul is a professional musician and appears regularly in concerts with his wife, the singer and actor Bernadette Robinson.
Prior to joining Keypoint Law, Paul was a partner at Thomson Geer. Paul is based in Melbourne.
- Information technology
- Trade marks
- Telecommunications contracting
- Intellectual property
- Corporate and advisory
- Litigation and dispute resolution
- Assisting a software development company to negotiate a Master Services Agreement and several statements of work with a large financial services organisation.
- Working with an Australian logistics company to resolve a dispute about a troubled software development and implementation project and assisting the same client with a contract with the replacement provider.
- Working with US counsel on a trade mark infringement matter for an Australian book publisher.
- Running trade marks opposition proceedings.
- Working with an iconic Melbourne arts organisation on IT, broadcasting and other contracting matters and privacy advice.
- Assisting a large multinational client and, separately, an industry body, to prepare submissions to the 2016 Productivity Commission inquiry into Australia’s IP arrangements.
- Recognised in ‘Best Lawyers in Australia’ 2021 for his expertise in Educational Law, Entertainment Law, Information Technology Law, Intellectual Property Law and Privacy and Data Security Law.
- Recognised in ‘Best Lawyers in Australia’ 2020 for his expertise in Entertainment Law (2016-2020), Information Technology Law (2019-2020) and Privacy and Data Security Law (2019-2020), Intellectual Property Law (2020) and Education Law (2020).
- Recognised as a recommended Technology, Media & Telecommunications Lawyer (Victoria) in Doyle’s Guide 2018.
|2019||Keypoint Law | Consulting Principal|
|2013 – 2019||Thomson Greer | Partner|
|2009 – 2013||Herbert Greer | Partner|
|2008||Dibbs Abbott Stillman | Partner|
|2005 – 2007||Minter Ellison | Special Counsel|
|1998 – 2005||Clayton Utz | Senior Associate|