Nick is an expert adviser to the music and wider entertainment industry on a variety of legal and commercial matters. His expertise, for which he is recognised, includes advising a diverse range of artists, producers, songwriters and managers on all aspects of their careers and across the full spectrum of music industry contracts.
Nick represents clients in multiple jurisdictions, including Australia, the UK, Europe, the United States and Asia.
Nick will initially be practising at Keypoint as an Australian registered foreign lawyer, continuing to advise his Australian clients on the basis of the laws of England and Wales. Until Nick becomes dual-qualified, Nick will utilise the expertise of Keypoint’s other team members to provide any Australian-law advice. Once he is admitted locally, Nick’s practice will expand to cover the laws of Australia. Nick is based in Melbourne.
Nick’s areas of expertise include:
- Commercial contracts
- Recording agreements
- Publishing agreements
- Producer, mixer and featured artist agreements
- Distribution agreements
- Management agreements
- Merchandising agreements
- Live performance agreements
- Brand, sponsorship and endorsement opportunities
Examples of Nick’s experience include:
- Acted for a wide range of emerging and established artists and songwriters in their negotiations with all major labels and publishers (Sony, Warner and Universal) and established independents.
- Advised a high-profile songwriter in respect of the multimillion-pound sale of their song writing catalogue.
- Advised an emerging artist from the point of independent release of their first recording, to signing a recording agreement with the biggest record label in the world.
- Advised a producer in respect of their work on a multi-platinum, Australian and UK chart record-breaking hit.
- Advised on the setting up of a new record label, and all of its commercial contracts.
Recognised by Managing Intellectual Property (MIP) IP Stars 2022 as Notable Practitioner
Recognised by The Legal 500 (2022 and 2021) for Media and Entertainment
“Nick Weaser is a key part of the team, always on hand to assist and explain, and thorough in his work. Exceptional.” – The Legal 500 2022