King Tan is an experienced lawyer, with a specialty in taxation law. King advises on Federal taxes (such as income tax and capital gains tax), State taxes (such as duty and land tax), and both advisory and dispute matters. King is often called upon by private groups, high net wealth families and professional advisers (such as accountants and financial planners) to advise on complex taxation issues.
Apart from taxation, King practises in the areas of trust law, superannuation law and succession planning. He has extensive experience assisting clients with strategic business and personal succession plans, establishing cross-border family offices, dealing with trustee duties and beneficiary entitlements and implementing wealth preservation strategies.
Prior to joining Keypoint Law, King led the Taxation & Superannuation team at Coleman Greig. He was formerly with King & Wood Mallesons and KPMG. King’s experience working at a Big 4 chartered accounting firm and as a senior tax lawyer at international and mid-tier law firms bring a range of skills and experience to his clients.
King is an active member of the tax community. He regularly presents on tax and legal issues, including to accounting discussion groups. He has also served on committees for the Tax Institute.
King joined Keypoint in 2023 and is based in Sydney.
King has both a profound and holistic understanding of the Australian tax law and is able to execute his in-depth knowledge to produce pragmatic tax solutions and clear legal advice. He is diligent and conscientious and always a pleasure to work with.Private Client
- business structuring;
- acquisitions and disposals of assets and businesses;
- restructuring of corporate groups;
- inbound and outbound investments and cross-border arrangements;
- tax treatment of income, gains and expenditures;
- property developments and acquisitions;
- transfer duty, corporate reconstructions, foreign purchaser surcharge, landholder duty and land tax;
- trust law and trust taxation;
- superannuation planning (including SMSFs);
- strategic business and personal succession planning; and
- managing tax disputes and investigations, including notices, risk reviews, tax audits, tax objections, litigation and dispute resolution.
- Acting for a high net wealth group in preparing for and disposing of its shares in a real estate group to a foreign buyer for a headline price of $102.5m.
- Advising a high net wealth family group in devising a business succession plan, including establishment of cross-border family offices, to enable the next generation to takeover family investments and work together in preserving and growing the family wealth.
- Advising a private group on Division 7A and employee share scheme rules, including assisting the group in reviewing its employee share scheme for compliance with the ESS start-up rules.
- Advising a foreign company on cross-border tax issues from the provision of services to related members, including permanent establishment risks.
- Assisting a foreign listed company on a restructure of its Australian corporate group, including obtaining rulings from State revenue authorities on availability of corporate reconstruction duty relief.
- Acting for a high net wealth family in resolving multiple income tax disputes with the Commissioner of Taxation, including through mediation.
- Acting for a listed company in an income tax dispute with the Commissioner of Taxation concerning its foreign branch arrangement.
- Masters of Laws, University of Sydney
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of Sydney
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting), University of Sydney
- Member, Law Society of NSW
- Fellow, The Tax Institute
|2023||Keypoint Law | Consulting Principal|
|2021-2023||Coleman Greig | Team Leader, Special Counsel|
|2017-2021||King & Wood Mallesons | Senior Associate|
|2013-2017||Argyle Lawyers |Senior Associate|
|2011-2013||KPMG | Tax Consultant|