Kate has over 20 years of experience as a commercial lawyer specialising in intellectual property, entertainment, technology, contract law and international trade, with a particular expertise in film, television and digital games.
Kate has worked on a variety of well-known films, television series and video games. She acts for productions houses, broadcasters and games studios across Australia, as well as individual creators, assisting them to navigate the legal and commercial complexities of the Australian and global media.
Kate defines her job as “helping creators take their craft to global audiences.” She is passionate about ensuring her client’s objectives are understood and met and has the industry expertise to deliver the right results.
With experience both in-house and in well recognised mid-tier firms, Kate brings strong commercial acumen and niche skills to the table for her clients.
Kate is also the deputy chair of Trade and Investment Queensland, overseeing the governance and strategy of TIQ across its 17 international offices.
Kate joined Keypoint Law in 2023 and is based in Brisbane.
- Intellectual Property
- Media & Entertainment
- International trade
- General Commercial
- Acted for Australian video games developer in $US60M acquisition by significant Canadian/USA entity in 2022.
- Acting as head Australian production lawyer on the television series The Wilds (Season 2) for Amazon, ABC Signature (Disney) and Hoodlum in 2021.
- Negotiation of the financing, distribution and licensing of three seasons of Five Bedrooms in 2019, 2020 and 2021.
- Negotiation of the financing, distribution and licensing for two seasons Harrow in 2019 and 2020 respectively.
- Key legal advisor for the COVID19 shutdown of various multi-million dollar television productions, including providing employment law advice for standdown of cast and crew, contract advice and negotiations, insurance advice and liaison.
- Acting for Halfbrick Studios in multiple acquisitions, restructures and divestments for its portfolio of investments.
- Designed and implement global privacy management framework for Halfbrick Studios who enjoyed more than 1 billion downloads of its games and 10s of millions of daily active users.
- Acting for CS Energy on its $250M clean coal Callide Oxyfuel.
- Professional Program , Writing for Television, University of California, Los Angeles (commenced September 2021)
- Certified Information Privacy Manager, International Association of Privacy Professionals qualification in privacy management (2016)
- Finalist for Brisbane Business News Young Entrepreneur Awards 2013
- Graduate Certificate in Legal Practice, Queensland University of Technology (2003)
- Bachelor of Laws, Queensland University of Technology (2003)
- Bachelor of Arts, (Double Major in Psychology), University of Queensland (1994)
|2023||Keypoint Law | Consulting Principal|
|2016 – present||Trade and Investment Queensland | Deputy Chair|
|2018 – 2021||Hoodlum | Head of Legal & Business Affairs and Group Company Secretary|
|2014 – 2018||Halfbrick Studios | Chief Legal Officer|
|2009 – 2015||Kate Hynes Lawyers Pty Ltd | Director|
|2011 – 2013||Ozcare | General Counsel and Company Secretary|
|2008 – 2009||Kelly Hazell Quill Lawyers | Senior Associate|
|2006 – 2008||Norton Rose Fullbright | Senior Associate|