James is a corporate M&A lawyer with over 20 years’ experience gained in top-tier law firms and in-house. He acts on public and private mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other corporate and commercial transactions. James is a former partner of Baker McKenzie, and prior to that, was Corporate Counsel at Singtel Optus.
James has additional expertise in the infrastructure, construction, technology and communications sectors and has written and presented widely on related topics, including co-authoring ‘White Noise’, a published book on the Australian communications industry.
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Assisting all companies (including early stage businesses) with corporate governance, documentation and fundraising, including seed funding and capital raising
- Joint ventures
- Corporate advisory including risk management
- Infrastructure project work and project finance structuring arrangements
- Wholesale and enterprise commercial contracting, including transactional service agreements, ‘supply back’ agreements and other service contracts
- ‘Whole of business’ projects for clients, including developing contract precedents and risk management processes and procedures
- Corporate reorganisations
- Insolvent reconstructions and sales
- Advising an offshore client on the sale of its Australian data centre operations.
- Advising an Australian carrier on the sale of its fixed telephony customer base to another carrier.
- Advising an offshore client on the acquisition and subsequent sale of a wholesale transmission services communications business.
- Advising a financial services provider on an M&A ‘roll up’ program, in which the client acquired approximately 20 financial planning, accountancy and related businesses over a short period, including the issue of convertible notes and redeemable preference shares to fund these acquisitions.
- Advising an Australian construction business on all aspects of an incorporated joint venture with an offshore partner for the design and construction work on a major Department of Defence procurement project.
- Advising an international infrastructure fund in its acquisition of a number of cross border infrastructure assets, including an airport, broadcasting assets and a renewable energies business.
- Advising a major communications company in acquiring a 4G wireless business.
James has been recognised in Chambers and Partners, and in 2016 was awarded the Lexology ‘Client Choice’ Award in the Australian mergers and acquisitions category, as voted by senior corporate counsel.
Until recently, James was the general editor of the Lexis Nexis legal bulletins ‘Inhouse Counsel’ and ‘Media, Technology and Communications Law Bulletin’.
|2018||Keypoint Law | Consulting Principal|
|2004 – 2018||Baker McKenzie | Partner|
|1999 – 2004||Singtel Optus | Corporate Counsel|
|1996 – 1999||Clayton Utz | Solicitor|