Deidre is a highly experienced lawyer, with specific expertise in the fields of privacy and data protection, information, technology, and governance, as well as deep insight into government strategy and policy.
Deidre understands client questions from a broader legal, practical and political perspective. For over a decade Deidre provided high-level, trusted legal advice and representation to the Victorian government, initially with the Victorian Government Solicitor’s Office, where she co-chaired the Technology and Data Protection practice group, then in-house with the Departments of Premier & Cabinet, Justice, and Education & Training.
Deidre drafted key Victorian privacy and data protection legislation. She has given legal, strategic and operational guidance to a large Victorian government department in relation to reform of its internal data collection, storage, disclosure (sharing), and data handling/security arrangements, and negotiated information sharing agreements with government entities in other jurisdictions. She was the senior legal adviser for all aspects of establishment, implementation, and governance of a new Victorian statutory authority.
Immediately prior to joining Keypoint Law in January 2021, Deidre ran her own privacy, information and governance consulting business, working with mainly non-government organisations to translate legislation, standards and contractual requirements into privacy, information and governance policies and practices that mitigate risk, such as compliant whistle-blower arrangements.
- Privacy and data protection
- Corporate governance
- Public sector governance
- Information governance
- Administrative law
- Intellectual property
- Dispute resolution
- Advised on the establishment of a new Victorian statutory authority, including guidance to new senior management on statutory interpretation, financial reporting requirements, delegations, ICT licence agreements and MOUs/information sharing agreements; drafted privacy policies and oversaw a PIA re the Authority’s ICT build.
- Drafted a Victorian government department’s suite of Data Governance Guidance and Protocols.
- As principal instructor, drafted Victoria’s key privacy/data protection legislation (the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014) and Explanatory Memorandum, developed Guidelines published by the Commissioner and delivered whole of government seminars and training to introduce the legislation.
- Provided advice in relation to a new Victorian legislative scheme for child information sharing, various National and Victorian education projects and programs e.g. NAPLAN Online, and conducted or reviewed PIAs.
- Advised and/or represented government clients as either solicitor advocate (including ADR) or instructing solicitor in numerous significant privacy, FOI and other administrative law matters e.g.:
- Caripis v Victoria Police (Health and Privacy)  VCAT 1472 (27 September 2012) (privacy/surveillance)
- Taylor v Victorian Institute of Teaching (Human Rights)  VCAT 1290 (3 May 2013) (privacy)
- Hanes v Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Review and Regulation)  VCAT 1270 (19 July 2013) (FOI)
- Pallas v Department of Premier and Cabinet (Review and Regulation)  VCAT 877 (31 May 2013) (FOI)
- Deidre holds Juris Doctor and Master of Arts qualifications from Monash University, and a Graduate Diploma in Media, Communications and Information Technology Law from the University of Melbourne.
- Throughout her career Deidre has served on diverse Boards and Committees. She is a Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and became a Fellow in 2001. In 2016 Deidre was appointed a member of Victoria’s Public Records Advisory Council (State Archives), reappointed for a second term in 2019.
- Deidre is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria, ACC Australia and Women on Boards, and also serves as a mentor in the University of Melbourne JD program
|2021-present||Keypoint Law | Consulting Principal|
|2019-2020||Privatus Consulting | Principal|
|2018-2019||Department of Premier and Cabinet, Victoria | Senior Legal Policy Adviser/in-house lawyer – Labour Hire Licensing Authority Implementation|
|2015-2018||Department of Education and Training, Victoria | Manager, Data Governance & Policy|
|2009–2015||Victorian Government Solicitor’s Office | Senior Solicitor/Co-Chair, Technology and Data Protection Practice Group|
|2008-2009||Associate to His Honour Judge Iain Ross AO (as he then was)|
|2008||Admitted to practise|
Deidre’s senior managerial roles prior to admission include:
|2002-2004||Chartered Secretaries Australia (Governance Institute)| Regional Manager Victoria & Tasmania|
|1999-2001||CPA Australia| National Manager, Learning Continuum|
|1997-1999||ASX: enterprise market| Operations Manager|
|1993-1994||Law Book Company (Thomson Legal and Regulatory)| Manager, The Laws of Australia encyclopedia|