Doug is a corporate and commercial law specialist with over 30 years’ experience acting for a broad range of clients, including private and public companies and Government bodies. Prior to joining Keypoint, Doug was an Executive Director of EY, and before that, was a partner at leading firms Gadens, Piper Alderman and Freehills (now Herbert Smith Freehills).
He has worked extensively on many equity raisings, M&A and joint venture deals in a wide variety of industry sectors including agribusiness, co-operatives, biotechnology, emerging technologies and funds management. In his role with EY he advised many foreign clients on FIRB related issues and assisted them with the Australian component of multi-national corporate reorganisations.
Doug has extensive experience advising on governance and compliance and has regularly presented on these issues at various forums including the Governance Institute of Australia, the Australasian Co-operative Directors’ Conference (Australia and New Zealand) and the Independent Compliance Committee Forum.
Doug has been recognised by ‘Best Lawyers in Australia’ for his expertise in Agriculture & Rural Affairs Law and Corporate Law.
Doug is based in Melbourne.
Doug can be contacted at +61 3 8199 3300 or by email at email@example.com.
Doug advises on mergers and acquisitions (including asset sales, share and unit trust sales) due diligence reviews, contract preparation, company schemes of arrangement, trust schemes of arrangement, entity restructuring, joint ventures, FIRB advice, equity raisings (retail and wholesale), IPOs and start-up and spin-off structures.
Doug has extensive experience acting for Australian and foreign funds managers/trustees involved in wholesale and retail funds, as well as custodians, underwriters, securities trustees, trustees for note holders, management companies and statutory compliance committees. This work has included fund establishment, PDS and prospectus issues, fund acquisitions and compliance and risk advice.
Doug has provided extensive governance and compliance advice to boards and senior management, including client compliance and risk committees and various statutory compliance committees.
Doug advises on a broad range of issues involving technology and innovation, including:
- Structuring, due diligence reviews, licensing, corporate governance and funding for spin-off and start-up companies, including private and statutory bodies.
- Acting for companies and pooled development funds involved in intellectual property and technology, including in relation to seed capital and venture capital arrangements.
- Acting for a number of entities involved in major innovation research and commercialisation projects, including multinational and local joint ventures, major licensing agreements and collaboration arrangements.
- Providing comprehensive legal services to a range of clients involved in creating, developing, acquiring, licensing, investing in and financing technology, IP and innovation.
- Acting in relation to acquisitions and disposals of technology.
- Significant experience advising on research and development contracts and collaboration arrangements.
Doug was named as a leading lawyer in the 2017 edition of ‘Best Lawyers in Australia’ in the Agriculture & Rural Affairs and Corporate Law categories.
He is also a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and has been a member of a number of client compliance and risk management committees and advisory boards.
|2018||Keypoint Law | Consulting Principal|
|2014 – 2017||EY | Executive Director|
|2005 – 2013||Gadens | Partner|
|2000 – 2005||Piper Alderman | Partner|
|1990 – 2000||Freehills (now Herbert Smith Freehills) | Partner|